Friday, September 26, 2008


I started watching "The Wire" only a few months ago. I realize that the series has been around for a while but these things don't seem to reach Brazil so I watch it online. Spending most my time in a neighborhood governed by a drug gang I see a lot of similarities between this amazing TV show and my surroundings.
The main thing is that earning a lot of money fast is attractive to young people and I guess the hierarchy in any drug gang exists through violence. We have a saying in Dutch: "Schijt is macht." This translates as "Shit is power" but in Dutch we say shit when somebody actually does not give a shit. So the most power to the one who gives the least of a shit.
The reason I'm bringing this up is because in season 3 there's a club scene with some amazing Baltimore Bass, which reminded me of the music the gun toting youth listen to here. I found the track but its very short. The picture above was taken in Vila Cruzeiro, not by me. The writing on the wall says: "Attention neighbours. In days of war, avoid leaving the house. Thank you, Comando Vermelho."
DJ Technics - My Life Extra (right click download)






1 comment:

Lui said...

Fuck that's paint is looking amazinG!! LOUIS